February 16, 2008

Windmill Woes

Well I have my first 7 squares of the windmills made. The issue now is that I can't figure out how to arrange them. I didn't really think through size before I made them. They're about 8.5" each, which means one in each color would make it 68"x68", which presents several problems. First, I hate square afghans. Second, the BoyfriendYeti is 6'4", which means it will not cover him, especially after factoring in my burritoing habits.

My initial (and what I thought was brilliant solution) was to make smaller rectangles that were 3x2, thus when assembled could make an afghan which was 9x6, but then, long enough but too narrow, and the odd numbers means that a row won't have full windmills, but instead look like Don Quixote got ahold of them.

I think what I might do instead is use 6 colors (there were two I didn't like much anyway) and make it 12x12. This means it will be 102x102, plus 2" or so of border. Massive, but I like em big (dirty joke intended) and that way if I end up with a huge bed in the fall, it won't look dwarfed.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I think the new idea's gonna work out best. I also think if you chart it out before you go much further, you'll be happier in the long run. Unless you like having loads of squares and doing all the seaming at once, lol.

Eleanor said...

Well, I am just crocheting a border around each square, and then slip stitching them together. Goes pretty fast and lays flat, so I don't mind.